If you are someone who worships Lord Mahadev you definitely know the importance of Omkareshwar and Maheshwar. In this blog we will be talking about Omkareshwar, its importance and how can you reach this place. You will know that why Omkareshewar – Place for Mahadev Followers.
History of Omkareshwar
There are 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva, out of these 12 Jyotirlings Omkareshwar is the 4th Jyotirlingas as per Hindu Epics. There are 2 stories that are famous as far as this place is considered. According to one story, Vindya was worshipping shiva day and night to make shiva happy so that shiva forgives him with all the sins committed. Once Shiva was happy with the worship, he appeared in multiple forms called Omkareshwar and Amaleswara.
According to other stories, there was a huge war between Devas and Danavas. Danavas win the war and since Devas lost the war they prayed to Lord Mahadev. Lord Mahadev took the form of Omkareshar and defeated Danavas.
How to Reach
There are 2 airports that are close to Omkareshwar. They are Indore which is 77 km and Ujjain i.e. 133 km away. The nearest Railway station is 12 km away from Omkareshwar though there is no direct train since this is not on the mainline. There are plenty of buses that you can get from Indore, Ujjain and Khandwa to reach to this holy place.
Places to Visit in Omkareshwar
- Omkareshwar Jyotirlinga Temple – This is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas called as Omkareshwar or Omkar Mandhata temple, which is located at the meeting point of river Narmada and Kaveri, situated at an island called Mandhata.
- Kedareshwar Temple – This was built in the 11th century and is treated as one of the most eminent shrines. Due to its religious significance, a lot of tourists around the world visit this place quite often.
- Siddhanath Temple –This temple is located near the main Jyotirlinga and is the point of interest due to its architectural design.
- Sri Govinda Bhagavatpaada Cave- This cave has a main hall and a small Sanctum. This is considered religious since as per some Hindu mythology it is said that this is the place where Shankaracharya met Saint Govind Bhagavatpaada and took Deeksha under him.
- Omkareshwar Parikrama- This is a boat ride which will take parikrama of the temple. As per Hindu tradition, it’s auspicious to take parikrama of a temple. This is around 7 km and the experience is totally mind-blowing. When you are here one should not miss this as it cannot be expressed in words.
Where To Stay
There are a lot of good hotels available in Omkareshwar to stay. Prices may vary from 500 and it can go up to 2k-3k depending on the time when you are visiting this place. Though a lot of people take a night bus from Indore or Ujjain, reach early morning here. Take a place for 2-3 hrs to freshen up and then visit the temples and leave back by end of the day. Another option is to start early from Indore/Ujjain, reach here by 10 AM and then leave back by evening which most of the tourists do as there is not much to explore which can be covered easily in 4-5 hrs.
Leave your comments on how you like this post and which new places you want us to cover.
You can read more in our travel section.